Table Occurance vs Find for Portals

This topic is 6511 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

(This is my first post, so please feel free to give me general advice on how to improve my postings)

Table Occurance vs Find for Portals

I am having trouble figuring out the best way to filter data. I would like to list the records that meet multiple requirements.

> START DATE

< END DATE

= CATEGORY1 or = CATEGORY2 or = CATEGORY3

ACTIVE = TRUE (or 1 or whatever)

and so on.

I would like to enter the requirements on the fly, so if I want to change the start date to last monthI will get a list and then be able to change it and get 2 months earlier.

Right now I am using a portal, but setting up the table occurances (TO) is killing me.

I currently use the original "Table" for the Layout Setup and then use another TO for the portal.

I could see using a "Find" instead and just setting up a script to copy the layout values to the find, paste them, do find, and then look at the results. Right now I am sticking with the TO solution, but it isnt working.

Any advice?

(Please let me know if there is any additional information that would be helpful.)

thanks for asking the question about the global fields, i forgot to mention that.

I am using global fields where the restrictions are entered.

--------------------

I guess I am looking for general advice on which would be the best choice. I was not sure if I was trying to force Filemaker to do something it was not meant to do.

I wish I were more familiar with Filemaker to make a better example, but this is the file itself.

The application I am creating is sort of like an event log.

The area with the problem is the "Events_Reports" Layout ("Reports" button) > "ReportsEvent" Tab.

I am having trouble setting up the table occurance right now. The only function that works is to show the events from a select category (self business friends ... etc). I am trying to add the Date restriction (which you may see from the relationships window) as well, but it is not working.

I did my best to label things clearly and use the standard conventions, but I am sure there have to be things that are confusing.

Any feedback you give is very very welcome.

Points_System05-30-06.zip

Holy cow it is crazy to see something created so quickly. Thank you for giving that example, it makes the problem so much clearer.

I am going to try out a solution using your example now.

I really appreciate your guidance btw, I've been working on this for a few hours now. Plus gone through books and looked online. I think it is a "understanding concept" thing.

comment

Thanks to your example, I understood the concepts better and was able to figure it out.

As a measure of thanks, I will make a donation to "FMForums.com"

I dont know of any other place that has such a huge filemaker following that is willing to help.

Hopefully i'll also be able to contribute at some point.

This topic is 6511 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.