Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Delay in opening solution files

This topic is 6539 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We're running FM8Pro on a PC network of 6 users with FM Server 8. When we open one of our many a solutions (5 small files)we encounter a 50 second delay. The Opener file opens with the file name in the border but a white screen. After the delay, the files open normally. The same hapens when we use remote desktop over terminal services. I have even stopped the server and used FM8Pro Advanced to open the solution directly on the (stopped) server. We get the same delay. This is a new problem with FM 8 not with FM6. Anybody got any ideas?

Welcome Janslort,

Did you just upgrade from 6-8? Did you make any changes or follow any of the posted migration strategies (single file, separation model, etc)? Some detail about what happened just before the change in behavior would be helpful.

My first instinct would be to check the file references for invalid or duplicate data. I have seen this really slowdown startup on freshly converted files.

HTH

-Raz

Hello HTZ.

Thanks for looking in. Yes, we just converted to FM8 from 6. Are there any examples of the file refs list? I notice that several file names are duplicated with an added number, which I assume must be other TO's of the same file.

Jan

Migration foundations and Methodologies

If you have not already read it, you may want to keep running on FM6 untill you are clear about the potential issues.

I would rebuild all the file references with just a single one for each file (unless there is a compelling reason for more) and see if that helps.

Also, did you try it without the startup script? Opening to a blank layout?

-Raz

Dear Raz:

It was a good idea to edit all of the file refs. I used the most simple form - File:(file name.xxx) Each file references every other file in the solution, so no matter where I am, I can get to any other file in the set.

I have FM6 plugging away with my live data, of course, I learned my lesson about that with FM4.

No change, the files still take 50 seconds to open.

Anythink else it could be?

Jan

There is one startup script - to open the rest of the solution files (5 other than the opener file). when I disabled it, it opened immediately.

Then looked into the script; it opened files I designated but had a second number shown (to designate more than one file with the same name. e.g. Inv20 4, the inv20 is my actual file name with the number20 as part of the name the "4" was assigned by FM. As soon as I eliminated that second number. the problem was solved.

Thank you for your help. You get the prize.

Jan

This topic is 6539 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.