Server Maintenance This Week. ×

State abbv. Value List

ajnhlr

This topic is 6539 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've built a US state abbreviation value list, but can't figure out how to have the full name of the state and the abbreviation in the list without having both in the results. i.e. I want the list to show Maryland MD and the field to only show MD. Is there a way to do this?

One way that I can think of is to have a table that has two fields: state names and abbreviations. Then just create a value list with that shows the abbreviation as the first field and the name as the second field. You shouldn't need to make any relationships to this table either.

Bryan

Edit: Here's an example based on this list.

states.zip

Edited by Guest

Everything is fine except when I place the field on a different layout it says, "unrelated," after I've formatted it as a drop down list from values in States, displaying data from "other database my "state_abbrev" has two colons ( :: ) in front of it, like a Time Symbol. Any ideas where I went wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the field in your table that holds the state should be a regular text field. Doing that will allow each record to show it's own state. The states table is soley for the ease of data entry and is not/should not be displayed on this layout. When you select the item from the dropdown the state code in this case, is inserted into the state text field.

HTH

Tim

This topic is 6539 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.