Server Maintenance This Week. ×

showing fields from a related table

This topic is 6536 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My last problem never found a solution, so I thought I had a back-up. No dice! Here's my problem:

I want to list items from a table and also list details about them from related tables. Those related details are not showing.

It's a many-to-one relationship, so each item can only have one customer, so that's not the problem. Each Customer has orders and each order has itemized purchases.

I want to show customer information without creating redundant "customer" fields in the item table, but I can't even get it to show "order#" from the order table (that's where the foreign key is linked in the item table) let alone other related fields in the order table, so I have no hopes of getting customer data until I get through the nearest table.

: Thanks for any help. -Erin

so I have no hopes of getting customer data until I get through the nearest table.

No that's not exactly true - there could be more than one! You're confusing the Relational Graph (RG) with an Entity Relations Diagram (ER) ...you should with a RG use as many Table Occurances (TO's) as required.... BTW are tables not related TO's are!!

Watch this video:

http://www.filemakermagazine.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=541&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

--sd

Thanks for the link. I have most of my experience in SQL, so that site and the video alleviated some of my frustrations with FMP.

I still have to figure out why it's not displaying data from the order TO that is directly related to the lineitem TO.

You might want to post a little example file of your problem. There is undoubtedly something wrong with the way it's set up, as this is basic to relationships. If the relationship is from a ID key to another, and the field is populated the same in both tables, then it should show. I guess you know that :-|

It could be some misunderstanding to do with Table Occurrences and layouts.

Or perhaps you are not passing the OrderI# in the first place? It must exist locally in each table. Normally this is done by turning on "Allow creation of related records", for the portal's relationship; or alternatively via a button running a script.

One also has to wonder why you're wanting to show customer info on an ordered item line item. That info is usually displayed at the Order level, not at the line item, because it is the same for all items on the order. Unless it is for a report, which is not unusual (i.e., show me all the people who bought item xyz).

Hi!

I cleaned up my TO graph and deleted all of my test data. I am reentering it systematically, making sure that all of the IDs are being passed between tables and then I'll try the layout again.

As for the line item problem, the line items are services over time. I am trying to make a report by location of all of the customers ordering services for a given month.

I think I'm on my way to fixing this. I'll be back if it doesn't work! Thanks for the help!

This topic is 6536 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.