passwords vs scripts to restrict access

This topic is 8420 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a 25-30 file solution to be used on a LAN with 4 levels of securiy allowing (or not) wiewing only, editing, new entry, etc. I see two options for security. One uses the available password/groups function incorporated in FMP5 and the other sets up a password file with each staffer given a security level. After logging ina relationship would linc the security level to the name in each file. A script before each navigation or function script would compare the secruty level in the Related ile for the user and the one I define for the function an Halot or allow the function to go on. Any opinions on which is better? Any other options for restricting functions?

If you are only going to have a few shared passwords and are not too concerned about tracking who is doing what, then I would recommend the FM passwords and groups. Keep in mind though, that any user can change his/her password, and if it's shared, and they don't know, the other users are locked out. Then you have to go in and reset the passwords which would require taking them off line.

For a more elegant system, I would recommend the password file method - which can be centrally managed without taking the system down. See:

http://www.fmforums.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=19&t=000036

This topic is 8420 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.