Portal Record

MIS

This topic is 6530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey everybody,

Quick question.

I have a layout that uses the "Company" table as its main table.

In this layout, however, I have a portal that displays data from the "ToDoList" table.

I have buttons mapped to the portal that call a script when you click on them. A parameter is passed to the script that contains the "primary key" of the "ToDoList" record that the user clicked on.

So the primary key may be "8", but the actual record may only be 5th in the list.

I tried passing the parameter Get(RecordNumber), but it would return the RecordNumber of the Company table, not the ToDoList table, so I would get the same value no matter which record I clicked on in the portal.

What am I missing? All I want to happen is that when the user clicks on the record in the portal, to have expanded information about that record (more fields displayed) show up in a new layout.

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortuntely, your suggestion doesn't work for me.

The reason is that after clicking on the portal, my script creates a new window, directs that window to open a new layout, and then goes to the record that I want (well obviously that last part doesn't work :). I have it set up like that because this new window doesn't allow you to click outside of it, so you have to either enter in new information, or hit cancel.

Any other ideas?

"Doesn't work for me" is not a good description of a problem.

my script creates a new window, directs that window to open a new layout, and then goes to the record that I want

A single Go to Related Record[] step can do all of the above - if you select the correct options. If you want to be in paused state after that, then you need to use the step in a script, and add a Pause Script step after it.

I got it working :.

I set a variable to the current window name...

Then I go to related record (as per your original suggestion)

I open a new window (basically a copy of the original window)

I go BACK to the original window, set it back to its original layout,

Then go back to my new window.

Awesome :

A single Go to Related Record[] step can do all of the above - if you select the correct options. If you want to be in paused state after that, then you need to use the step in a script, and add a Pause Script step after it.

I guess I didn't have the options set correctly. I tried everything I could think of.

Got it working with the "new window" thing, and my script still works with keeping that window in focus. This is a much more elegant solution then I had :.

Thanks a million comment!

This topic is 6530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.