Bringing Related Fields into a Single DB

This topic is 6497 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

First of all, my Filemaker and my database skills are very weak, so I 'm hoping you'll be patient with me.

I have a mailing list that was created in Excel. I have divided it up into three tables and imported it into Filemaker. Instead of bringing each table into a single Filemaker database, I find I have three separate Filemaker database files that are linked by the relationships I have set up. Is there a way to get all three tables to exist inside the same Filemaker database file?

Oh yes you can, try to dissect or investigate this:

http://www.filemakerpros.com/Splitting.zip

Although it only deals with normalizing into two , are the measures the same for the extra table you require...

--sd

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your response. Actually, I'm not having a problem understanding how to normalize my data, I'm having a problem getting my multiple tables into a single Filemaker file. I have taken my Excel file and separated it out into three Excel files. I then brought each one into Filemaker and set up the relationships. The problem is that they each reside in separate files and I want them to all be together. Maybe it isn't necessary, but it seems easier to me to only have one file to keep track of. I am also having trouble getting all my data to appear in new layouts and I suspect that this has something to do with the way I have set the data up.

You can just import the external files direct into new tables. So in file A, chose import, select file B, but note that under "Target" at the top right portion of the import dialog, you have a dropdown that allows you to import as a new table.

But why are you splitting your data up into 3 tables? Maybe it really only needs one table, with a proper field to identify different types. Generally it is better to have one "people" table and use other methods to identify special groupings.

Thanks....I think that is what I was doing wrong. I was dragging the Excel file into the Filemaker file, rather than importing it into a new table. I'll give this a try.

The reason that I want to divide the data up into tables is that my company has over 500 distributors and each distributor location has multiple contacts. It's not a complicated database, just one that separates companies from contacts so that company addresses don't have to be repeated over and over again.

Thanks again for the help. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

• 2 weeks later...

OK...That worked beautifully. The database is now set up exactly like I want it. Next problem....I have created a primary key in my "Companies" table called zID. It is linked to a "CompanyID" field in my contacts table. In all the books I have and everywhere I look this relationship should be a one to many relationship (one in the company table, many in the contacts table). In the relationships view within Filemaker, however, both ends have the crows feet. Is this OK?

And how do I set it up so that I can add new numbers in the company table? I used the "Serial Number" feature, but lost my link to the customer table.

I'm missing something, somewhere. I've tried to figure it out on my own, but can't get anywhere. I hope you can help me again.

Thanks.

This topic is 6497 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.