Duplicating Tables

This topic is 6521 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I know this probably has a really simple answer, but I can't seem to pin it down anywhere after seaching both here and in FMP help.

Is there a way to duplicate a table so that you can have a separate table within the database that has identically named fields? Can you do it within a file as well as duplicating a table from another file?

You can with 8Adv, but it certainly defeats the object of having referential integrity ...which explains why you're having such difficulties in tracing it down.

It's sounds like an unhealthy way to approach matters, the usual weak explanation goes like storing each year in it's own table.

Why? When you have a plentora of non equijoin relation types to slice and dice your data.

--sd

Even without FM8 Advanced, you can use the Define Database > Import... feature to move a table with its fields. You can do it from the same file too.

What Advanced allows you to do is copy and paste; move multiple tables at once; and do it without importing the data along with it.

But I'm a little currious, why this is required? I can indeed see the point in this though:

http://www.quart-edv.de/plugins/pasteboard_en.html

...where you work with off the shelf templates you just alter slightly via a straight forward text editor.

But with this thread does it seem like a copy inside the same file, why isn't it just an extra TO (table occurance) that's required??

--sd

This topic is 6521 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.