Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Developing a FMP database for work - new user(s) - Can multiple records be opened and worked on simultaneously?

This topic is 6526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I work in allied health and sometime ago, half-convinced my boss that his excel spreadsheet to collect data was getting out of hand and clunky and Filemaker would be the solution for him. I am only a beginner FM end-user but have been impressed by the capabililities of FM (due to an ex-husband). So he told me to do something abt it, I met up with a local developer who did only an on-job with my requirements, and 2.5K later, we have a product that is incomplete and buggy. My boss needs more convincing that it is going to be worthwhile monetary investment and I need to keep my job. One big point that I overlooked to ask the developer was "Is it possible to open, access and work on multiple records in a FM database simultaneously?" - very impt cos in our clinic, we often have several patient records open at the same time. I am not sure if this is the right forum to post the question, but judging by the depth of discussion here, if theres anyone who can answer my question (and save my job) he or she would be found here. Thanks, greatly appreciated. Elin

Hi Elin,

I am not sure quite what you mean by

Is it possible to open, access and work on multiple records in a FM database simultaneously?"

This implies that you want to edit multiple records at the exact same time, which would seem to require multiple cursors in multiple fields at the same time. This is, of course, not possible in any program I know of with a single user on a single machine. It is, however, completely possible and easy to have multiple users accessing different records on multiple machines simultaneously, or to have a single user view multiple records simultaneously, editing one, than another, than another while having them all displayed together, or open in multiple windows (with FM7+).

I am not sure if this answers your question though, do provide more detail if it does not.

-Raz

PS- Regarding keeping your job: 2.5k is a very small investment for a custom relational database of medium complexity in my opinion (although, an incomplete and buggy one at any cost does not seem like a bargain...). You should focus your boss not on how much has been/will need to be spent, but on what benefits and savings a professional customized solution would offer. While the budget can seem a bit shocking at first glance, these programs often pay for themselves within a few months of service.

• Newbies

You are a gem for replying although the news doesnt seem to be good. With opening multiple records, what I mean is - say in the database, every client is has a unique record with a complex set of data contained within it. I need to be able to have more than one client record open at anyone time, even though I may not be simultaneously editing the records, but to be able to view multiple records and edit only in one at any one time. Does this additional information help and can I keep my job still?

You're Fired!

Sorry, always wanted to say that. Nah, go ahead and keep your job. In fact, Take the week off...

There is no problem at all doing what you request. The only limit to how many records you can see at any one time is your eyesight and screensize. It sounds like what you really have is an interface design that poorly matches your workflow. That is the designers fault, not Filemakers. Depending on the structure, it might be pretty simple to adapt.

-Raz

• Newbies

THANK YOU - and yes you sounded as authoratative as Donald Trump. Its a huge relief to know that not being able to view multiple records is NOT going to be a limiting factor in the grand scheme of things. Now I will move on to trying to convince my boss re a long term investment situation. 2.5K is talking in Australian dollars - what ball park r we looking at to get something decent up and running? Pity you are not in Melbourne Australia.

elinwee, what you are asking sounds like just flipping from a "list view" layout to a "form view" layout. This is the most common FileMaker operation, a single step, Go To Layout ["name of layout here" ].

Some designers, especially not-very-good ones, sometimes forget that basic navigation is as important as data entry forms and fancy-looking reports (big logos, lots of lines :-). They neglect basic list views and/or obscure navigation. I have seen this in most files I've seen. Not sure exactly why; but it seems to be a common personality disorder.

Fact: FileMaker does not change which record you're on when you change to a different layout of the same table. It's easy as pie.

Fact: FileMaker is many many many (did I say that :-? times easier to navigate than Excel. Once you know a few basics.

As Razumovsky said, if you get FileMaker 7/8, you can also open multiple windows at the same time, each with a different form view records. As long as you don't open 2 windows of the same record and try to edit it in both at once, you can edit them all at once. Knock yourself out.

[ We don't normally do the "lots of windows" routine however. Because Finds and navigation allows you to very quickly get to the record you need. I can see though that in a reception area you might be taking down, or looking at data from a couple of people at a time. It works fine, as long as you do some housekeeping to close them when done. All this can be done with commands, and/or simple script steps (or scripts) attached to buttons. You can place and size the windows where you want. ]

If you get FileMaker 8 you can put TONS of stuff on just 1 layout, using the built-in Tab Control (tabs) tool. It's saves a lot of development time, and makes navigation of data-intensive solutions much simpler.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.