Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Audit Trail

SteveD1

This topic is 6506 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I would like Filemaker to provide me a list of each change made to the value in any field, with a time/date stamp, and include the user that made the change. Currently, we don't even have users login; they open a file with a password that allows them permission to browse, create and edit a record.

I've tried the "Limited" Edit permissions before, but it just disallowed all edit attempts. Is there a plug-in available, or is this part of Server or Advanced Server?

We are about to buy FMP ver8, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Do a search of the Forum for [color:blue]Audit and you should find plenty of reading material.

Also, there are a couple of sites with demo files that you will find mentioned.

Lee

We are about to buy FMP ver8, if that makes a difference.

Yes instead of lookups grapping values from unstored fields, have the "...update" function in an autoenter made thing very very simple ...although the log still only takes place in the same record as the modification ....if you need a running creation of records every time "a gnat farts" in one of the fields, must a plugin be used.

--sd

if you need a running creation of records every time "a gnat farts" in one of the fields, must a plugin be used.

Not sure I understand what you mean...

The Audit Files I have used, and the examples I've seen, do what is needed without a plugin. There are several examples of Audit Files out there, and I don't recall any of them needing a Plugin.

What would a plugin provide beyond what is shown in the files by Bob Weaver, and Ray J. Cologon.

Lee

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have done quite a bit of work on this problem.

I wanted an Audit log that is dynamic, easily implemented and works across multiple tables and stores the log in it's own table so it is not tied to the record or table that it is logging.

I have attached a file that demonstrates my technique for this. There are complete notes in the file.

Let me know what you think.

All the best

Danny Dawson

MultiTableAuditLog.zip

This topic is 6506 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.