locking records

Gerrit

This topic is 8286 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Here is a similar problem that after many years I have not been able to solve satisfactory:

How can I in the SAME data base (Filemaker 3.0)

lock records that are completed, and checked as being correct

and at the same time

give acces over a network to change, correct,and complete other recently made records and at the same time consult all the records previously made.

PS: I am afraid of mistakes during importing/exporting records and I am also scared overwriting a backup with a bad copy.

My situation:

I have four to five people in my clinic creating and thereafter completing records on a network from every patients visit. Some have their own computer, others share a computer.

Every record is a record of the last visit:If I want a history of patient, I search the database for all the visits made.

This includes motive for the visit,payments made,etc.

Everyone on the network ( has instant acces to all medical records.

Thanks

Gerrit

If you are really worried about backup, the best strategy is to burn a write once CD every day (about 30 cents for media) and archive these in a safety deposit box.

As to protecting data that needs to be viewed, this is basically a two step process:

1) Turn off all navigation except by buttons and scripts (hide and lock the status bar and remove layouts from the menu).

2) Create duplicates of layouts you want to view and don't want to modify. Disable the ability to modify these layouts either field by field or by covering the layout with a clear button assigned the script step "Go to field()" with no field selected.

3) Navigation script should test for a closed record and select the protected layout. If a record is not closed, the unprotected layout can be used. Make sure you include these checks in "arrow" scripts (first record, last record, next record, previous record).

-bd

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: LiveOak ]

This topic is 8286 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.