Backup

bbaliner

This topic is 8280 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The strategy I like the best is to:

1) Backup multiple times each day from your FM Server machine your backup media. This might mean four copies of all of you database files on each zip.

2) Use 5 different zips per week and at least two (three or four better) week sets of zips (20 zip disks)

3) If you store the backup zips on-site, store them in a MEDIA fire safe. This is not a normal fire box for papers, but specially designed to allow magnetic media to survive.

4) Each week, move last weeks set of 5 zips off-site to another secure location.

5) Once a week or month, burn a write once CD of your files and put it in a safety deposit box.

The multiple backups per week allow you to recover from errors made last Wednesday, but not detected until today. The reason for off-site storage, even with a medial fire safe should be obvious after this week.

thanks for speedy responce, Oak, I will take a note of it. Do I really need Retrospect to work with my FM Server 5.0 scheduled backups?

My dayabases do not change a lot, more like a wharehouse databases, and I perform my backups once a week. I am thinking about going to twice a week, and am wondering if I need retrospect.

Thanks again

This topic is 8280 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.