Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Runtime problem on PC

Spice

This topic is 6516 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello All

I have developed an application to be distributed runtime kiosk mode for both Mac and PC. So far so good, both versions work reasonaby even if certain things need modifying for the PC runtime (resize window issues).

The application is non modifyable and contains about 500 20Kb JPGs, one for each product.

When I generate the runtime kiosk for PC it often seems to run irratically by returning false info of just displaying the the same info regardless of search criteria.

This DOES NOT HAPPEN ON ALL PCs! Some work fine and others, often newer, just don't work. The same problem occurs when trying to run directly from a CD. On Macs there is no problem...

Has anyone come accross this issue and is there a solution? Could it be a memory problem? I seem to remember a post on this forum saying that runtimes would only run properly on computers with FM application installed. Surely not, what would be the point of a runtime.

Thanks.

Yes. SP2 is installed on my PC with Windows XP and it works fine. My problem is that I can't be sure that the people running the runtime application have SP2. I assume most do, but I've alredy had a problem on a brand new IBM ThinPad where the runtime returns rubbish or nothing at all. I'm a MacMan so all this is new to me but I would think that a new computer must be running SP2...?

Thanks for your reply.

No, not necessariy, i am pretty sure that your "new" computers hold sp1 as a standard - though i could be wrong i've found this on most of the ones ive dealt with lately.

Second of all - you can be sure that your users have sp2 - just get inno setup and you can package your program inside an installer for free aswell as specifying a minimum system version (i haven't quite worked out the minimum system version yet though - but it's there so technically it should work) - worth looking into, if your interested, google it.

~Genx

Thanks for the reply!

Does this mean that FM8A runtime applications can ONLY be run on PCs with SP2? If this is true and most PCS are on SP1 then distributing runtimes seems pointless. I'll start another thread to see if others have had this SP2 problem.

Thanks again.

The other thread has been deleted... It's exactly the same question.

It's not a problem, it's the minimum requirements for FileMaker 8 and hence the runtimes.

Please don't double post, we try to keep these forums as clean as possible.

Cheers,

~Genx

This topic is 6516 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.