Exporting report RESULTS to TXT or Excel

This topic is 6535 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Sorry this is such an idiot question, but I'm a beginner and cannot find in the manuals how I export the RESULTS of a layout that has exactly the information I need. I can see it on screen and print it out, but I don't know how to get it into a format I can read in Excel.

I can export the entire database, but I want to export ONLY the results shown in my format that I can see on-screen.

I'm using FMP 6.0 under OSX 10.4.7 on a Mac G4.

Thanks!

Dave

When you do an export in FileMaker, you are exporting the found set. If the found set is all of the records, that is what is exported. If the Found set is One record, than that is what is exported, two records will be the two records.

What does that mean?

It means you have to isolate the the record or records to be exported.

If it is just the current record, you can do that by finding all records, Omit Current Record, and then Find Ommitted.

Another way would be to do a find or search for what ever is unique about the current record to be exported. I.e. the name, company, phone number, address, ext.. than export the found set.

HTH

Lee

• Newbies

Thanks, Lee.

I'm apologize for not being more specific in my question.

My report format includes summed information but NOT all the individual lines (records) that comprise those sums. It is the summed information that I need to export.

Given your comment, how do I make these report summed results into a found set? I do not need or want the individual records, I only want the summed lines/values that I put into my report format. The on-screen, printable report is exactly as I want it, but I need to turn it into tab-delimited text or Excel format.

Thanks in advance. Sorry if my questions and explanations are primitive; I'm just learning this stuff.

Dave

You cannot export a layout as it is, but you can probably export the data it contains, including summaries. To calculate summaries "in browse mode" you'll need to use the GetSummary() function; to export summarized data you'll need to set up the "Summarize by" option in the Export dialog.

You can also try to put everything in a text field and then export this field contents. Check this article: http://www.onegasoft.com/tools/fastsummaries/index.shtml. You need the 1st part of it.

Yet another way would be to export data via XSLT and summarize them using the XSLT tools. This would probably be the most complex variant unless you're an expert in XSLT.

This topic is 6535 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.