5.5 to 8 Upgrade and Rewrite

This topic is 6518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am experienced with writing FM databases in the pre-FP7 world. I have a client that is upgrading their current database set (made up of 9 related dbs) from 5.5 to 8.0. I have assisted them with a conversion and the solution appears to be functional in 8.0.

However, they are interested in doing a complete rewrite, as many of the old database features are non-functional and obsolete. I have never helped someone plan a "from-scratch" solution before. Are there any good roadmaps or plans for how to get from concept to final product? I don't even know where to start with this client, outside of asking him exactly what functionality he wants the database to provide. I'm kind of looking for a basic roadmap of how to get through the planning stages in a well-thought out manner.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Scott

I've done this plenty of times and it's not as bad you might think. I suggest you ask them what they like about the old system in terms of funtionality what they want to get rid of and then what they want to add. If you are not familiar with the 7/8 enviornment it can be a steep "un-learning curve" I'd be happy to discuss the process in more detail. Just sent me an e-mail to [email protected]. Good luck.

Regards,

-Mark L

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.