re-login w/o re-open?

This topic is 8072 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

small Q.

Is it possible to re-login a FMfile protected with a password, without re-opening it?

I want a file to have limited access for users without the program promping for a password (I read that I can do this in preferences, program), but I also need to get in for full access as the sysop. I first thought that "change password"-script could do it, but that's not the case.

I'm working with 4.x by the way,

thanks for any help

AJ

Create a new DB as a "Menu" system. Use the menu to open the files as required.

Provided passwords are the same in all files the FMP will "pass" the password use in the "menu" to the target file.

I use this quite successfully with 30+ users

• Newbies

Well,

I want to use as little as files possible (because theyre going to run on a server), so if there are alternatives, ... that would be great. The problem is that FM does have the functionality, but only when the file is opened. If there is no other way, then I guess that your way is the only way

It's my experience that once a database has been opened with one password it has to be closed before it can be opened with a different password.

Don't worry about having too many files: FMP can host 50 files and FM Server can host 250.

• Newbies

Unless I'm Missing something here, create a opener db ,in preferences have your db's open using the password that is limiting access, when you need to open the db with full access , have that user just hold the shift key before opening the opener db, they will get the password prompt, enter the master password and fm will pass that password on to all the rest of the db's to be opened.

This topic is 8072 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.