Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Anyone recommend some server specs?

ddreese

This topic is 6490 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Currently using FM5.5 server running a FM6 solution. Up to about 60 concurrent users, around 100 files hosted. Database size isn't all that big, probably around 400M right now, I don't expect it to ever get above a few gigs.

In the next 12 months I'm planning to get a new server and migrate to FM8.5 and the newest FM server. I'll be merging all files into one (I know, that will suck) with maybe up to 80 concurrent users, or more. I'd also like the option of doing web publishing.

What kind of horsepower are we talking about here? We already have a Windows Server 2003 license so I'll be running that. I believe I remember reading that since FM7 the server does a lot more work with the sorting and that stuff and we're looking to upgrade anyway so I want more than enough power. Any help appreciated. I looked at the specs on apple's website, but minimum doesn't really mean much to me since it's going to be getting a fair workout.

around 100 files hosted.

I'll be merging all files into one

You might want to think about this. It may be better to go with more than one FP7 file and modularize your solution. A 1-file solution is not always best.

As to horsepower: 1GB RAM minimum. 2GB is better.

Processor: Any entry level server Xeon will do. Take a machine that is dual processor ready.

Go for the fastest hard drives you can afford. And put a high-end network card in it.

Thanks for the advice. 100 files may seem like a lot (I guessed wrong, it's currently about 85), but there are quite a few reference tables. I have one file over 200M, the next closest is 32M in size, and 60 tables under 1M in size.

I really hope I'm not going to 'overwhelm' a 1-file solution because it sounds like it would make some things a lot easier for me.

Those server specs seem very doable, I think our current machine would probably handle it fairly well, but better safe than sorry, especially if they don't mind spending the money.

Thanks!

This topic is 6490 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.