Can only see some files in client

This topic is 6467 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Setting up a FM8 Advanced Server on a G5 running OSX Server (not an xServe).

I've set up FM8 Server Admin on my local machine, everything runs as I would expect it to. I can open and close files etc.

From this same machine, when I launch FM8 Advanced client I can only see some of the files on the remote server. I see the sample file, a test file and a couple of files that were converted over from FM6. There are two others that don't show up in the list. All files do show up in the FM Server Admin list of databases and all are running (i.e. Normal status).

We've checked permissions and every file is set the same way. Today I added a file called Clients which I can see, a file called Client License Changes which I cannot see, tried renaming it to Client_License_Changes to eliminate the spaces and I still can't see it, added a file called Faxes which I can see, then tried renaming the one that I can't see to clc in case there was a problem with the length of the filename (which I doubted, was just trying to eliminate things).

Any suggestions?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Be sure that you have set a sufficiently high number of files allowed to be viewed in the SAT Tool.

Be sure that you have not marked a file to hide its name.

Be sure that the status of the file is "Normal" in the lsit on the SAT Tool.

HTH

Steven

I've checked items 1 and 3 and they are set correctly.

Where do I check to see that an item hasn't had it's name set to hide? While waiting, I tried creating a new very sparse db from scratch. One table, two fields, one account (full access) and that doesn't show up either.

It does appear in FM Server Admin and it is showing as 'Normal' as are the other files that I can't see through client.

Where do I set a file's name to hide?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

I just looked at my copy of the files that cannot be opened on the server and they are set up the same way as the ones that can be opened.

I am assuming that this is like Accounts and Passwords, you set up it up on a local copy of the database file and then move it to the server.

Okay there seems to be a difference there. I'm not near the server right now so I can't test but I will later. Thank you for the tip.

However how would this influence the list that comes up when a FM client clicks on the 'Remote' button or selects 'Open Remote...'. The server hasn't received a login account and/or password at that point.

Curious,

If your sharing option's 'Network access to file' is set to use the specified privilege sets (this uses that same FileMaker Network privilege bit), it would limit who can see the file in the Open Remote dialog. If this is set to All users, then the files should at least be visible.

Ooops, wait a minute. That did do the trick. I had clicked on web publishing instead of Network Access to file. This is now working on my test server, will try at the client's site tomorrow.

Thanks for your assistance.

This topic is 6467 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.