check box validation

This topic is 6465 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there. I'm super new to Filemaker. Trying to learn on my own...where have you heard that before? lol

I have two sets of check box info. Ideally I'd like both fields filled out, however if 2 certain options in the first set are checked, the second check box field does not need to be filled out.

I'd like to put a validation and message to tell people they must fill out the second check box set but I don't want that message to come up if they've checked the 2 options that don't need to be checked in the second check box set. (first field is a contact type, the second is more detailed contact specialty). Whew! I hope that made sense.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

Hi Noreen

I dont think (although it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong) that this can be done at the field validation level but that doesn't mean it cannot be done.

It would help to come up with an answer if we knew when you would like the validation to occur and the message to be shown.

I presume (I know - one should never presume) that you want the validation to occur before the user moves to the next stage in which case we need to know how are your users navigating around ?

Regards

Phil

Thanks for getting back to me. I have one table, 4 tabs. The first tab has contact info on it - name, address, phone numbers, etc. We are an architectural firm so on the second tab I have the two checkbox sets - one for Contact Type - ie. client, personal, government, building supplier, etc. The second checkbox set is for more details on the client's specialty, ie. architect, code consultant, etc. I've attached a screen shot.

We had an old database in FM 3 which I've converted. So we will be editing old records and adding new. I'd like the message to come up before they move on. If the Contact Type is Personal or HPA staff, they don't need to fill out the Contact Specialty. I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world if I can't make this happen.

I'm still struggling with ways to set up navigation. There are some areas that may need to be hidden from some viewers and I know I can't password protect a tab (I read that somewhere) and I'm still not clear on the multiple table concept. At least I've learned a lot so far on my own - I just hope it all works!

Thanks.

Picture_1.png

Hi Noreen

While tabs are a great tool on this occasion I suggest that you use 2 different layouts instead of the tabs.

That way you can put a button on the first layout and attach a script to it which can first have a look at the two fields that you want to check and depending on the findings take the user to a relevant layout.

Hope that helps but if you need any more help get back to me

Regards

Phil

This topic is 6465 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.