FMP 7 --> 8 or 8.5??

This topic is 6458 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everybody,

It's been a while since I had to deal with FM. Last big thing was upgrading from 5.5 to 7 more than a year ago which was a lot of work! Now the office I'm in thinks about upgrading to 8 or 8.5

So basically - is it more like purchasing, installing, converting files and ready to go...or what drawbacks come with it??

Is there a documentation available how to upgrade?

Is it worth going with 8? Some say 8 is less stable, go with 8.5?

And I assume upgrading to FM Server 8 (8.5) is unavoidable too...

I'm sitting here and try to get back into my own FM developement-work...so any experience is highly appreciated ;-)

Cheers,

Stefan

Stefan

I say do it - no hesitation.

You did all the work when you converted to 7.

8 is regarded by some as 'what 7 should have been'.

It is worth getting for script variables alone not to mention lots of other goodies.

Go for 8 advanced if you can and you get a data viewer and loads of stuff that you wonder how you lived without before.

There are some very minor issues about which version is best but I say it again - just do it!

Phil

Thanks Phil!

Meanwhile I did some more investigations and I understand all files will remain *.fp7 if they run on FMP8, no conversion necessary. So basically install FMP8 and files should be ready to use.

I was just wandering: Do I have to upgrade to Server 8 too (I guess I will have to) or do the FMP8 clients run on FM7 Server as well?

Thanks,

Stefan

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto -- A strong recommendation from me to upgrade to FMS 8.0v4 and FM 8.0v4 -- many bugs from the early 7 and 8 versions are fixed, and some features (like script variables) are great timesavers.

8.5 -- not sure about. I'd say you might want to wait until the dust settles before going to 8.5.

FMNP 8.6 introduces the ability to name and reference layout objects. This allows tabs to be selected in scripts -- which makes tabs heaps more useful.

FMP 8.5 has the web viewer too.

This topic is 6458 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.