Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Value contingent Button

This topic is 6475 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm having a brain fart that I can't get past over how to have a button made available on any given record(s) in a list view based on a particular field's value.

Specifically, in the list, any record with field being empty I want a button to appear on that record.

Solutions appreciated. Thanks for the mindshare...

It's easier to show than explain. You create a "flag" calculation field, which evaluates to 1 if Abridged is empty. You relate it to a "constant" = 1 calculation field (as target). You put a portal on the layout, with the button inside it. The portal should be transparent if you have alternating row colors. Otherwise it should be the same as the background (stops it flashing). You want to group it, as they should be a very tight fit (center-aligned), to keep your row size down. You can show or not the little hand cursor. The basic method was first seen in the Visibility file, by John Mark Osborne.

AbridgedButton.zip

I use a different technique similar to fentons. I've attached fenton's file with a new layout added. This technique uses just the flag field. You can format the field using the boolean option in the number setup. Be carefull using special font characters if you are distributing a solution, you may need to provide special fonts also.

Rod

Abridged2.zip

This topic is 6475 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.