Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Completely stumped

This topic is 6470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm sure this sounds quite basic, but I can't get it to work: I have a solution with two tables. The second table lists counties and tax rates. Using the first table the user selects the county to use from a "Counties" value list that gets its information from the second table. Once the county is selected the appropriate tax rate is filled in on the first table, again getting the info from the second table. So far, so good. That part works OK.

But when I try to place a portal for the counties and tax rates onto a layout in the first table, I only get the county that has been selected from the value list. Why can't I see all the counties and tax rates from the second table? I've studied the manual and even the File Maker Pro 8 Bible for three days and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Please help!

Dave

You're missing a join table to recieve you choises, you can't just make a valuelist enter new data from which the valuelist is build upon, well you can do, but you'll strain the valuelist swiftly.

What it seems like is that you portalize the wrong table! You could ditch the valuelist as such by having a portal of carthesianly related records from which you make each line clickable to transfere the data to the recieveing field, say in last portalrow of the join table portal.

--sd

It seems like you need to create another relationship from the first table to the second and choose "x" as the connector.

Just curious, why do you need to view all that information in a portal when it's already shown via the value list?

:

Just curious, why do you need to view all that information in a portal when it's already shown via the value list?

Yes it's an either/or! The problem here is the missing table, and not the interface angle to it.

Well It's not necessarily missing, but what the popup should provide is not the real human readable data, but the key value for linking the record which value we wish to display from a relation away.

What is needed here is knowledge of howmany values we wish to display referenced in the other table. Next issue requirering consideration is if it's value that deals with a historic aspect (lookup) or a live value is all we need? Lookups are required in say a invoice where the price for the sale should be fixed, to avoid the invoice changes values shown due to raises in prices in the items table.

--sd

This topic is 6470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.