relationships

This topic is 6450 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

ok im officially confused.

trying to create data / ui seperation, only I cant work out where my table relationships should be, if i have them in the data file and remove all from ui, the ui just says 'table missing' all over it. However if i have it in the UI file I cant do lookup fields etc in the data file. What am i doing wrong, surely i dont have to match the relationship structure in both the ui and data file??

Cheers

Ben

Ben--

Generally speaking, you will have most of your relationships in the UI file--all those that are necessary for the interface to work. But I have found that I need a certain number of relationships in the datafile to allow the kinds of data-related functionality you're describing, as well as allowing me to create calculation fields. (Some will note that you can eliminate calculation fields in the datafile by creating a Business Rules file, but I haven't been able to figure out how exactly that would work). So, you'll have some duplication, but not complete.

HTH,

David

• 2 weeks later...

Our data file graph looks almost like an ERD; the number of relationships is minimal. The UI file, on the other hand, has hundreds of table occurences. There is some overlap of structure, but that's incidental; just build the relationships you need.

This topic is 6450 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.