Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multiple Servers - Adding more than 1 Publishing Engine

This topic is 6457 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all

because of the sheer number of databases we publish in our organisation, we have more than one FM Server and as a result, more than 1 Web Server.

All servers are FMPS8.0v3 and the web servers are FMPSA 8.0.

We have set up the servers so that they all have the same identifiers, so that we can pull related data from tables on other servers.

The problem is this, I want to be able to use some of the servers directly and would like to point to a secondary Web Publishing Engine? Will this work?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards

Zip

Hi Zip

I tried something similar to this and failed.

My publishing engine (8.0.4) is on an intranet webserver (Tiger/Apache) - a different machine to my FMSA (8.0.4 / Tiger) . This set-up works fine. However,we have two websites(intranet and extranet), so I tried loading a second publishing engine onto the extranet webserver machine (Tiger / Apache) and connecting this in to the FMSA, but it said it was not licensed for more than one engine.

I don't know if you can buy more licences but as soon as I add a WPE identifier on the Client configuration page of FMSA, the add button goes grey.

If you try and link two WPEs with the same identifier to a single FMSA, the second one will refuse to connect.

I don't want to put both sites on the same webserver as I cannot control access to the intranet via the firewall, and since scripting with IWP is server side I cannot test for external IPs. I am currently using the new Filemaker PHP API for m clients but would rather use IWP as the development cost is so much lower.

I know I've only got one server but I hope this helps.

Ian

First, do not use the new PHP API on production files.

Second, as presently constituted it's one WPE per FileMaker Server. This is distonguished from situations where a WPE can see files on a second database server when those files are related to ones on the primary database server. The Isntallation Guide explains this.

HTH.

Steven

Thanks.

IanC ... I am in exactly the same boat ... I am replicating my data in another database that I use for my Extranet. Unfortunately, it means the data is only as current as the last sync.

I have been using FX.php for some of my serving, but I dont think this will help either in this situation.

back to the drawing board. Might explore Lasso.

Thanks again for the input Old Advance Man and IanC

Zip

Old Advance man... thanks for clarifying the position on the one WPE to one Server limit. I had read the admin guide when I was setting up, but the error message said that I was not licensed for run more than one WPE - suggesting that it might be possible to purchase a license to run another. Would be SO handy. Re: the PHP API, it's only a single view page with a built in query - no login or interaction. Thanks.

This topic is 6457 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.