Server Maintenance This Week. ×

viewing pdf files

xoomaster

This topic is 6459 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to use something like the example of "Web Viewer example" for displaying the PDF files, but using the FM server.

What would be the address to use to display the PDF on a PC using the Open URL ? is it something like this ? it does't seem to work ??

"fmnet://192.168.0.104/Data/Databases/Folder_name/file_name"

I want to keep the files in a folder named something like "Folder_name" that is located in the same folder of my DB that is located in the server folder "Databases" .

Any help greatly appriciated.

Xoomaster

Edited by Guest

The problem with putting pdf in the FM server the user would have to have the volume mounted on the desktop in Mac and drive mapped in PC. I am not too sure you want user to be able to access the database folder. You might be better of putting the pdf in a folder in the web server so you can use http://ip address to direct the viewer to the file. When in doubt of the file path use safari / IE either in mac/pc to open the file and look at the URL format.

I agree with you. This has taken me a long time and still is not working.

There is still no good ways of keeping files in FMP records and viewing the files remotely. With the Web Viewer I had hoped it was possible, but no luck !

I hope in the next version of Filemaker, FM staff consider adding the ability to view files saved in a container field using the Web Viewer :

Thank you for your response.

It can be done.

Have a container field to store the file only as reference. The file need to be in the web folder of your web server. Have a calculation field to parse the URL to http://127.0.0.1(your web server ip address)/file.pdf/

IT WORK FOR ME.

Thank you for all your inputs.

I finally decided to import the files in container fields and that way when a user decides to view a file, I have set it up so that the content of the field is exported and then opened automatically. This way all the files are in the database and accessable to all users.

The only question I have now is ;)

Is there a way to extract the actual name of a file after it is imported into a container field ?

For picture files or PDF one can use GetAsText ( container filed) but if you do this to a text file, you don't often get the name but some of the content !

So anyone has experience with capturing name of files with insertFile command use ?

This topic is 6459 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.