A question about going from 6 to 8

This topic is 6471 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a products file that was built in FMP 6.0 and I could really use your help and recommendations before adding it to a new solution I’m building in FMP 8. My question is, is their any reason to build the solution differently from 6 into 8.

A picture tells a 1000 words so I’ve attached a picture of what the layout looks like. Our products can have up to 6 price points based on tonnage plus prices for "FOB" and "X-Warehouse" as shown.

There is no set structure pertaining to pricing. Some vendors have one price, some have six and others can have anything in between.

You can also see the “Special Promotion Data” that pertain to some products.

The other side of the equation is the Invoice side that needs to be considered in making changes to the product file. Pricing is based on total tonnage amount. So if the customer buys 5,000 pounds of the product shown in this example the price is $2.60 per pound. But if the customer buys other products and the total of all products combined is 32,000 pounds. The product in this example drops to the 32,000-pound price of $2.54 and all other products on the same order are based on the 32,000-pound price as well!

BTW, the reason for the Lb Price and Case Price fields is this. If a vendor bases his price list on pounds, the price is entered into the Lb Price field and Case Price under “Selling Price” is calculated automatically. Same is true if the vendor bases his price on the case. Enter the case price and Lb Price is entered automatically under Selling Price.

Is there anything you see that I should consider when making the switch?

Thanks for your help,

Bill Product Shot.jpg

Product_Shot.jpg

Edited by Guest

Do you have a specific question or concern? Everything works pretty much the same in FileMaker 8 as it does in 6. There are a few things you need to watch out for, such as the need to use Commit Records and Select Window, (and stuff you discover along the way, e.g. Go To Related won't go anywhere if there are no related records; calcs with certain combinations of "not" and "and" will get parentheses messed up) etc etc etc.

Go to the Support page at www.FileMaker.com , read the white papers and technical briefs before you convert.

This topic is 6471 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.