Is it possible to build a layout procedurally?

This topic is 6465 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

First I'll lay out the context of what I'm trying to do (although I've approached this problem several times before on other projects only to abandon it when it became clear I wasn't getting anywhere).

I am tracking meter readings and consumable levels on about a dozen or so printers, approx. 5 different models. Periodically I'll do a full audit on the status of the consumables in the printer and it's meter readings and what we have in reserve stock.

What I'd like to do is define the consumable set (different across each model) and then build the layout automatically based on that.

eg If printer = model a then display only fields relevent to that model ready for input.

Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

• Newbies

raybaudi, that's a valid point.

However that solution doesn't sit very well with me. The idea of all that unnecessary repetition (the part of the layout I want to build procedurally only accounts for about 1/4 - 2/5 of the layout) makes me uncomfortable.

What happens if I need to make a change to the layout? I'd have to propagate that to another 4 manually.

StuartT, just had a quick look at the visibility resource, looks like it could be just what I'm looking for!!

Thanks guys.

Hi BradHowe

yes, the visibility trick is another good way.

But i would prefer not to vaste so much space of the layout...

I'm still thinking that the TAB approach is better... even if you have to manage only 1/4 of the layout.

Make a TAB control with invisible borders !

This topic is 6465 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.