Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

rename a layout in 8.5 different?

J__

This topic is 6568 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I saw/heard this somewhere (maybe maybe matt petrowski???) that if you rename a layout in 8.5 the change to that name will no longer automatically propagate throughout your the file. this is a 'gotcha' i think.

I am going to call this 'auto renameing'. In in previous versions if you renamed the layout, it would be renamed everywhere in the file. I actually liked this and couldn't believe it worked (reliably)... but it did. Worked for scripts too and so on..

If I understand this right, it seems that this new 8.5 feature(?), while giving the developer more control/power, it also opens the door to making more , uh, mistakes.

Unless they've added something new to fm 8.5, to rename a layout in every script without the 'auto renaming' feature above, would be cumbersom, since there is no easy way to do a 'replace in all scripts' search.. right?

could some one elaborate on this? / opnions?

oh and no I don't have 8.5... yet.

thanks for your input and insights in advance,

sincerely,

J__

FileMaker, Inc. would never remove it's automatic updating when the name of a field, layout or table occurrence is changed. It's one of the things that differentiates FileMaker from other databases. I've been using FileMaker 8.5 since the Beta version and can also verify this doesn't happen. But, it's easy enough to test yourself once you get 8.5.

You are probably thinking about the new ability to name objects that was introduced in version 8.5

For instance if you name a button "StartButton" and create a script that uses Go to Object ["StartButton"] and then later on decide to rename the object "LaunchButton" the script will stop working.

Perhaps this is what you are thinking about.

This topic is 6568 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.