Script step limitations of Web Companion!!!

This topic is 8653 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Please help! I need to publish a database across my company's network and it includes a script that generates a very critical serial number. I've learned after the fact (of course) that, according to the FMP5 manual, you can only run the script step "go to layout." Is there any possible way to get around this limitation? I'm new to Filemaker, but I have to get this issue resolved as quickly as possible. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I don't know that I can help, since I am using FMP 4.0v3 and am unfamiliar with 5.0 There are no restrictions to running a script in 4.0v3 that I have encountered, and I can't imagine FileMaker dumbing down the script ability. I've been writing scripts in 4.0v3 which are web (format file) activated. If you have layouts, then you will need a layout code line to designate the proper layout. Otherwise, if there is only one layout the -lay tag is not really necessary, but you can name that layout and make reference to it. I would think your code would look something like:

<p><form method="post" action="FMPro">

<input type="hidden" name="-db" value="companydb_.fp3">

<input type="hidden" name="-lay" value="anyname">

<input type="hidden" name="-script" value="serialnumber">

<input type="hidden" name="-format" value="appropriate.html">

<input type="hidden" name="-error" value="rats.html">

<input type="hidden" name="-token" value="[fmp-currentrecid]">

<input type="hidden" name="-recid" value="[fmp-currentrecid]">

<input type="submit" name="-actiontag" value="ButtonName">

</form></p>

Also, the script must exist in the db which is designated.

Peace

Keith M. Davie

It's a bit hard to understant what kind of problem you are running into. However, there are a few things that could help the problem you are running into. Make sure that the field that you want to use is on the lay out that you are referencing on the web page, I have noticed that that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that this person is using the instant web publishing feature of FMP5 which converts FMP layouts into web pages. The current limitation of this awesome feature is that only buttons running "go to layout" scripts actually work... which in my mind makes it rather crippled.

The solution is for you to turn off the instant web publishing feature and learn how to create custom format files. A bit of work, sure, but well worth it in the long run.

Or wait for FMP 6? ;-)

This topic is 8653 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.