Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Understanding Tabs

This topic is 6375 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I love a good tabbed interface, and I'm trying to build one, but I'm having some problems understanding the nature of how they are supposed to work. When creating my tab set, I'm able to enter the tab titles. Then, I have drug the size of the tab window down to fill the body of my layout. My problem is that when I try to add content to Tab 1, that content is showing up on ALL tabs while in browse mode. In Layout mode, the button/content only appears on Tab 1. If I click Tab 2, it shows a blank tab with no content, as I want, at this point.

Why won't the tabs work to show only Tab 1 content on Tab 1, and Tab 2 Content on Tab 2?

I know this may be basic to some/most of you, but I left my copy of my friend Geoff Coffey's book at home today. :

Thank you for your help.

Mac Hammer

I can't post the actual db because it is a proprietary app that falls under an NDA. However, here is a quick layout that I created just to illustrate the problem. On my system, if I view the layout in Layout Mode, I see only the object that is placed on each tab on the correct tab. As soon as I move to Browse mode, I see all 5 objects and clicking between tabs makes no difference. I can't imagine that this is how this is supposed to work.

Thank you for your help.

Mac

tabs.fp7.zip

Thank you!

I had just downloaded an example db posted by someone else in this forum and looked at it. They had no header at all, so I just tried removing the header from mine and tried it. It behaved normally. It is good to know that I can still use a Header as long as I keep the tabs completely below it.

Note to self... :)

Thank you for your help.

Mac :)

• 2 months later...

I've just started using tabs. I had the same problem and found the same solution. But it means you have the tabs repeated on every field when you view it as a list. Can't you just have the tabs in the header and it change the fields shown in every record when you switch tabs?

I think it looks ugly otherwise

I think you've stumbled upon the biggest weakness (IMHO) of tabs--No list view. You might work around it by using a portal to display your listed information, but it isn't as elegant as using a straight list view. Perhaps you will need to build a separate layout that adheres to your design elements, but displays the info in the list view as you wish. That is the route that I've taken.

Good luck,

Mac

IMHO... list view is an ugly and restrictive peice of ... Hmmm, Portals, depending on how you display them, can be a million times more elegant. Besides, list view is only REALLY any use (people will probably argue but meh) in reports.

This topic is 6375 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.