Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Find criteria and portals

OASES

This topic is 8457 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Since I can't state the problem well, I'll just describe it (sorry for being verbose).

I'm trying to do a search of students that are enrolled in our program for the Fall 2000 Computer program. However, when I do a search (the information is in a portal, with semester, year, and program as separate fields), I get all students that have any mixture of those values. For example, I get students that may have had Fall 1999 computer and Spring 2000 tutorial, since FMP doesn't distinguish between rows in the portal. Is there any way I can prevent this? Please ask if anything is unclear. Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by OASES:

Since I can't state the problem well, I'll just describe it (sorry for being verbose).

I'm trying to do a search of students that are enrolled in our program for the Fall 2000 Computer program. However, when I do a search (the information is in a portal, with semester, year, and program as separate fields), I get all students that have any mixture of those values. For example, I get students that may have had Fall 1999 computer and Spring 2000 tutorial, since FMP doesn't distinguish between rows in the portal. Is there any way I can prevent this? Please ask if anything is unclear. Thanks.

Perform a Find, any find, only works on the current file. What is happening is that you are performing a find on your main file, for all records which have a related record that matches the find criteria.

If you are trying to perform a find on students, you need to do it from the students file.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Thanks for the response Kurt. But I guess I wasn't completely clear. I have a People, Tutee, & TuteeProgramHistory files that are related. I know that I can't do a simple search through the portal in the Tutee file, because it won't give me the results I want. If I do it in the TuteeProgramHistory (which has no real layouts), then I have to create a specific Search layout in that file? However, this prevents me from seeing the rest of that tutee's programs on the same page, since they are individual records in the TuteeProgramHistory. I'm trying to find a way to import the find results back to a Tutee file layout, but I can't figure that out.

The end result I want is to be able to search the database for tutees that have been in Spring 2001 tutorial, but exclude students that have been in Fall 2000 tutorial, and other such things. Thanks.

This topic is 8457 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.