Password Fails on DB Converted from FP5 to FP7

Chappy.Cole

This topic is 6377 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I attempted to open a FP version 5 file, which has a password for full access priveleges, using FP version 7.0v3. FP7 prompted me for the name to save the old version under and where to save the converted file. Once I'm done with those, it asks for a username and password. I enter what I know to be the username and password that I originally used, and it rejects it.

Other possible factors are that, since the last time I worked on the FP5 file, I have upgraded our OS to Mac OS X 10.4.7. Also, my hard drive crashed and I had to take it to a specialty place to get the files recovered. Most files were recovered fine and all the other FP5 files - which do not have passwords - which are in the same directory, work fine.

Any known problems with this conversion process? Any hints on recovering from this problem?

FMP5 did not have any user names - only passwords. Converted files will generate user names that are the same as their password.

If a converted file had no passwords then it will generate 2 passwords - "Guest" and "Admin".

If this is still not the case then try re-opening the original files in a previous version of FM and check the passwords.

As completely and thoroughly described in the Migration Mega Tech Brief, the old fp5 password is converted to both the Account name and the Account password in the modern versions.

After accessing the converted file, simply go in and change the old password to something new.

Steven

Correct; but it is a bad habit to get into. Accounts are designed to have a name and a password. I recommend changing the converted ones.

Take a look at the chapter in the Mega Tech Brief about security schema in converted files. We put discussion there about such items as consolidation and duplication and case sensitivity.

Steven

If you want to give some best practices, that's great. I was just trying to get Chappy into his file. In my opinion, it is better to leave account name blank when logging into the just-converted file in case someone is looking over your shoulder. Once you can get in, then you can worry about changing the accounts.

• 4 months later...
  • Newbies

Cheers for this just joined and had this problem, I was sure I had the password correct, I missed the fact that the user name had become the password too - now I have access to an old project I wanted to fiddle with - thanks again :

This topic is 6377 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.