Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Setting up yes/no fields

Mother Barbara

This topic is 6554 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In FileMaker it is easy too.

Create one Value List ([color:blue]Main Menu >> File >> Define >> Value List) called yes/no or whatever

and have the two items

Yes

No

In layout Mode, select the fields you want to attach it to, and use the display options (i.e. checkboxes, Drop Down Menus, Pop-Up Menus, Radio buttons)

HTH

Lee

Thanks!! Now 2 more questions in this same vein:

1. I will be importing over 6000 records. Once they are in and the correct values are being displayed for these yes/no fields, is there a way to make the default value either yes or no for new records without affecting fields that are already filled in on the old records?

2. I would like to have a single check box that will be checked only if the answer is yes. How would I do that?

Thanks!!

Edited by Guest

Second question first.

Change the Value list to show only Yes.

First question.

A value list is for the convenience of choosing data you want to have in the field.

The underlying field is just a normal field, in fact, if you put a copy of the field on a layout without the value list attached, you will see what I mean.

When you import data, the import file will override the existing field data if it is one of the selected fields you are importing to.

HTH

Lee

This topic is 6554 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.