filemaker server 8 client access problems

innocence

This topic is 6514 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

guys im having this problem.

my clients can't see the files shared by the server i have. i don't know how or why, but they just can't see any files. and at times, they can't even see the host server.

what should i do? can someone please give me detailed steps as to how to configure and run filemaker server?

thanks a lot.

- is the server on the same subnet as the clients? (FMPro clients will only show servers on their same subnet, for servers outside the subnet you'll have to manually specify the name or IP address of the server)

- is the server actually hosting files? Check with the admin tool that all the files you want to host have their status set to "normal". If not, check the event log

- do all the files have an account with a privilege set that has the "fmapp" extended privilege toggled on?

- did you configure FMS to show only files that users have an account in? (Database visibility)

• Newbies

guys, i have actually solved this now. but i do have another question...

i solved this by turning firewall off. but may i know of a way where i dont have to turn my entire firewall off?

i have read an article that you can actually turn off firewall for a specific port only, how can that be done...

im using windows xp now as server. im only using server 8 trial as for now. i just wanna try how it works.

thanks a lot for a ny response.

This topic is 6514 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.