FMStrs.dls Annoyance

Oldfogey

This topic is 6381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Just an annoying nit. Since moving to V8.5, when deleting runtime solutions, I am told that FMStrs.dls is read only ... blah, blah, blah. I've checked the source and none of the three instances are set to read only. Presumably it is set to read only during creation of the runtime. Anyone know why and/or how to stop it?

I delete runtimes many times during testing and already get enough stupid messages from Windoze without FMI adding to the load. :bang:

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Just set the files in runtime resources to not be read only before creation of runtime. This fmstrs setting is a minor mistake of FileMaker's translation team as that file is a standard filemaker database containing all menu, function, script names in the appropriate language.

I've noticed a similar problem on the Mac.

The runtime files are set to read and write. I've made a runtime, copied to another computer and the file has become read only again. To delete requires changing permission or selecting Empty Trash with the option key held down to force deletion.

Any thoughts?

That's impossible! Like so many things.

Let me get the sequence right. You create a runtime; make sure THE file (which one?) is not read only; copy the whole runtime to another machine and it reverts to read only?

You didn't have a previous copy on the target machine did you? With a read only file?

How do you copy?

I'm sorry I should have been specific.

The Runtime application NOT the database is set to read/write. Once copied across to either another Mac OS X or Mac Classic the stupid FMStrs file in the runtime goes read only again.

I've tried setting the actual runtime template in the Filemaker folder to read/write without success.

But I have observed that if the runtime is NOT launched prior to copying then the FMStrs file does not go read only.

Is this a Filemaker problem? Network problem? Mac OS X problem (shock, horror, the very idea that Panther could be at fault) ?

Edited by Guest

You're very pessimistic aren't you PJDodd.. you hate Mac's -- you think PC's are worse than Mac's.. what are you a linux fan?

I'm a realist, perhaps a pragmatist. I hope for the best but experience teaches to prepare for the worst.

I love Macs, since my school days. PCs stink. They are second rate technology. I would be surprised if there was a flaw in the Mac OS X Unix system that was responsible, hence the "shock horror".

But all this is off topic....

I though shock horror was sarcastic. Anyway, yeh, I'm with Lee, we tend not to go there because then people get carried away

Edited by Guest
Fixed spelling of Lee :) Was using a way one of my clients spell their name, sorry

This topic is 6381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.