Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Help with Error

This topic is 6415 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a LAN system setup here 1 host (FM 8 Advanced) and 3 (FM 8 Pro) clients. DB runs from host on Win 2003 Server OS and the clients on Win XP. I never had problems with remote host sharing nor setting it up. System has been running for almost a year. We're going to add another pc which will have FM Pro 8. Using the trial cd, we installed FM, and run it trying to access remote host. This is the error:

"FileMaker cannot share or be a client of a file because the networking stack could not be initialized"

Tried re-installing sw 3 times, still gets this message. This has never happened with prior installs in other pc's. Please help, I am getting a headache. Thanks.

I can't help, but it might help whoever does know anything about this if you specify the exact version of each copy of FileMaker installed.

From the sound of it however, it would seem that it's a problem with that pc particularly, maybe the software? What version of windows are you running on that computer and do you have all necessary updates?

After googling and looking in the filemaker website, I found one that suggested a solution. Looked into the FM folder and search for a PEM file called server.pem. If this is <5Kb then it's probably corrupted. Mine was, it was 1Kb. So I copied a similar file from a working FM Pro 8 installation and pasted it in the FM folder of the corrupt one which I changed into a BAK file just in case. And voila! Error gone and Open Remote worked.

Thanks everyone.

This topic is 6415 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.