Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need someone who would be willing to assist

EdWil

This topic is 6402 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have to devise a form and am willing to do all the work, I just need someone who would be willing to help me with what I need to do. I've read the manual. Like that was any help. And have a real clear idea of what I need, I just can't seem to make it work. I found a name of a consultant in the area and he came out to look at what I needed. He generously said he would assist me with the project for $8000. I don't mean to insult anyone, but this can't be rocket science. Plus, paying that amount for a one//two page design strikes me as high. I'm not a free loader, nor do I think Mother Theresa is doing this kind of work, but I do think I should be able to find someone who could assist me on a consultant basis without having to sell a baby on the black market to pay for it. So, if someone want to give it a whirl, let me know.

Ed

Hi Ed,

This is what the forum us for. We help each other along through the snags that present themselves along the way.

So where to start.....

What do you feel comfortable with in filemaker?

What do you need to accomplish?

What do you have to work with?

Will there be mulitiple users or a single user?

Is web access in the mix?

Just some questions to refine your project.

Let me know.

Tim

• Newbies

Wow I never thought I would get a response so quickly.

What do I feel comfortable with? Honestly. I feel stupid.I understand the general basics. View/Layout. etc. What throws me is knowing when to use a specific.

What I want to accomplish. I need to create an easy way for us to keep track of some training we do.

I like the idea of having a file that has two different tabs. One tab would be for personal information, address that kind of thing. That I am pretty sure I can handle. The second tab gets trickier. In the training which requires self study, the trainees have to read thirty selections and submit 30 summaries throughout the year.And they have to complete five reflections. I want to be able to have all the selections listed (they don't change) and have a buttons to click: one for Received and a date stamp that says when we received it; one is for response and a date stamp; one is for resubmit and a date stamp; and the last one is accepted and a date stamp. I need this for each trainee. But then I want to be able to generate a report that is an overview for the director of the trainees. There are several directors based on location. This overview has the name of the trainee. how many have been received. how many have been responded to; how many have been asked to resubmit; and how many have been accepted.

What do I have to work with? I ride the short bus to school. I have no idea what this is asking.

Any reasonalbe person reading this will want to insert "not much." But I do have a sense of humor.

There will be a single user.

Is web access in the mix. No.

Thanks Tim for taking the time to help me with this.

Ed

Hi Ed,

O.K.

2 things to think about.

1. It would be very easy to just start building the form on the screen and jump through the hoops as you come to them. Although this might be very appealing, this approach will lead down a very dark tunnel with the unfounded hope that all will work out in the end. Which is not the best approach to an effective solution.

2. First try to design on paper what your reports should look like, how will they be selected and organized. Then gather the information (fields) that will be necessary to produce the desired output. Then consider the logical groups of information (tables) and how they will relate to each other.

Maybe something like: People( holding like you describe personal information ), Training History (holding the detail of each training course), Training Courses ( holding the details of each of the thirty selections you describe )

Example: 1 person will have many instances of training history of which they can pick any one of the training courses (Can they repeat a completed training course? if so how often?)

This process is called defining the business rules of the system.

BTW, what type of time constraint are you under?

Are you familiar with the relational data model?

You can attach files to the post if you wish, or we can work off forum if you prefer.

Let me know how you wish to proceed. I enjoy filemaker on the weekends.

Tim

Ed,

If you need help, I can offer two things.

1. First of all, I can give you general phone tutoring in FMpro letting you see the insides of an existing application that has tabs and general info, etc. like you desire. I'll show you how to add fields and create layouts, etc. Then you would be able to get started defining fields and creating general layouts yourself.

2. Secondly, when you get to the more difficult screens or reports, or if you get to the point where you're glad you've learned the basics but just want it finished, I can finish the project for you.

I work hourly and you would completely own the project when It's completed.

I have literally hundreds of references all over the U.S. Call 1-800-531-7148 if you need me.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

To attach a file, click the Preview button, at lower left of the message box. Then, on the next screen, click Manage Files (underlined, under the message a ways). That brings up another window with little buttons. Choose your file, then click Add, then click Finished. Yeah, it's not very straightforward. It used to be easier, but this one lets you add multiple files.

Hi Fenton,

You don't have to be in the Preview Mode to add a file, you can do this in the [color:blue]New Reply Screen, or the [color:blue]Edit Screen too (when you Edit your own posts). This means that if you forgot to add a file, just [color:blue]Edit your post and add it.

HTH

Lee

Edited by Guest

Ed,

What did you show the consultant for him/her to be able to give you a price? That sounds like a good start. Maybe a sample of the information you need to keep up with in regards to a single training course (list of fields)[courseid, coursetitle, etc.

When does a training year start? Same for all or based on some individual specific start date?

Use word or some text program to layout your report sample.

Hope this Helps,

Tim

If you're a newbie like I was 12 years ago. Try to find a single file simple template that most closely matches what you need and use that as a starting point.

Don't look at complete systems that are are open that you can make changes to, because in most cases you will not be able to make necessary changes unless you are well versed in all aspects of filemaker development.

Do, do as someone mentioned and plan out the system before you develop.

There are also some templates out there of just what the UI will look like that you can plug in your own fields.

Hope this helps in some way.

This topic is 6402 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.