Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Rogue Dictionary file

BronwynL

This topic is 6283 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I have a file (USENGMED.MPR) that I have not been able to delete. It's related to an old system that I updated. I move it to the trash but when I try to empty I get the msg "The operation cannot be completed because the item USENGMED.MPR is in use". FMP is not running anywhere, and restarting the computer does not resolve the issue. I've checked my startup on login items and nothing seems to be related to it. The file is not locked and I have full permissions for it.

I know this kind of smacks of an OS thing, but as it's an FM file...

TIA for any help

It is a OS message.

Once you put it in the trash, you will have to restart the machine before you can Empty the Trash. It is doing this because it is loaded into the system when you start up, if you leave it where it where it is now. You might Try holding down the Option key when Emptying the Trash, sometimes that will also do it, and the you wouldn't have to restart.

HTH

Lee

p.s., I'm moving this to the MacIntosh System/Filemaker Topic.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the response, Lee. I suspected the OS but was wondering if someone else had seen this aberrant behaviour on other FM system files.

I have restarted. I've tried moving it from the trash before restart and leaving it in the trash before restart. I've also tried option empty with no joy.

Oh well - off to apple.com

tks

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

Interesting. When I enter that line:

sudo rm ~/.Trash/*

in Terminal mode, I get this response:

rm: /Users/lancellotto/.Trash/FileMaker: is a directory

... does that mean it doesn't like what I'm trying to do? Because the blasted file is still sitting my Trash ;)-

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

Hi!

I have the same trouble as you. In no way the files will be ersed.

The teriminal command sudo rm ~/.Trash/* gives no result, only more questions. The sudo command is for making me to superuser, but what password has superuser? Have you got any more ideas about what to do?

/Owe

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

Your guidance has solved the problem for me.

I followed the instructions for using Terminal Mode and it said "rm: /Users/main/.Trash/FMPro 6 Unlimited - OS X: is a directory" which makes sense - I had actually trashed a directory which contained the usengmed.mpr file inside the Dictionary folder.

So I took the folder out of the trash, and only put the usengmed.mpr file in the trash, entered Terminal mode and did sudo rm ~/.Trash/* and it actually deleted the file. I was then able to put the folder (which no longer contained the rogue file) in the trash and empty it normally.

Yeah! Thanks for leading me in the right direction. This has been bugging me for months.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6283 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.