Problem creating relationships between two files

raouls

This topic is 6329 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to link two files where my Master list file has a field called item # that is automatically filled using a field from another file called Memo labels.

Here is how I am doing it:

I open Master List and go to define database. I then go to specify table and then on the drop down arrow I click add file reference. I click on the Memo Labels file and then I get back a message that says "'Memo labels' is currently in use and could not be opened. If the file is shared, you can use the open Remote command to open the file on the network. (If you've opened the file before, check the Open Recent menu.)."

I am able to open the file on the server, and there is no one on the network with the program open. I just cannot get the file to open from this direction. Is there another way to get this relationship to happen or is there some problem?

I solved this problem by ensuring that my relationship was based on opening the file remotely. When I set the relationship, instead of opening the file by selecting the open file and open, I instead chose "remote" on the bottom right of the open screen and then chose the file. That created a quasi-script when it looked at the relationship and did not give me this error.

Thanks to anyone that was looking into this.

• 5 weeks later...

This topic is 6329 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.