Relational value list help

ddreese

This topic is 6357 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've been struggling with trying to figure out how to do relational value lists in FM8.5, as I'm used to FM6. I made a severely stripped down example version to show you what I'm trying to do.

There are 4 tables.

fsp_members

client_master - master list of all the clients

constellation_join - a join table of all the clients and their case involvement (clients can be involved in many cases)

constellation_join_relationship - a list of relationships for each fsp member

It's pretty simple what I want. The left portal (layout fsp_members) is where the relationships are listed (relationship field, and relationship to whom i.e. brother - sam, father - billy jr, etc.). The relationship to whom value list is what I'm having problems with, it is only listing the first name out of all the people in the same 'case'.

The portal on the right is the actual data that should be showing up in the value list. I guess I just don't have my mind wrapped around how it should work. Any help would be greatly appreciated, point me in the right direction! :P

fm_help.zip

In the older version, you would need to create a field in fsp_members_cj (=fsp_members_cj_cm::name) via the match field ID_client_number. But, you no longer need to do this in FM8 as you can specify in the define Value List to show field value from fsp_members_cj::ID_client_number, and second field from fsp_members_cj_cm::name. In addition, click on the option at the lower part of the dialog to show only the second field. Note that FM8 actually stores ID_client_number upon selection but shows the name on the layout. Email me at [email protected] if you are still having problem.

fm_help_resolved.zip

Thank you very very much! That's exactly what I needed. I don't feel too bad that I couldn't figure it out, the process of going about it seems pretty backwards to me so hopefully now I'll know better.

Great explination in the file, too. Thank you very much! :P

This topic is 6357 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.