Server and scripting

drc

This topic is 6331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is probably a naive question, but I've searched the posts and I can't find the answer, and since I've never used the server version...

If I have a FM server database and have scripts that invoke applescripts (or VBscripts) where does the script run, on the server or on the FM client machine?

If we had a server database of 2-4GB, how much data gets transfered across our LAN?

Thanks I suspected as much but could not find it mentioned explicitly.

Unfortunately I use Applescript to call a UNIX application via a shell script. Since I have no control over the clients this kills this idea I think. :)

If we had a server database of 2-4GB, how much data gets transfered across our LAN?

In general, the only information transferred is the data that's required for the particular layouts and records that are being accessed.

With Server running in a fast network (100Mb or faster), the client experience is similar to what you'd get running the files stand-alone.

Running over a WAN, performance is noticably slower with certain operations, depending primarily on the upload speed of the host network and the download speed of the client network.

This topic is 6331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.