Server Maintenance This Week. ×

WPE Admin User details lost

RvH

This topic is 6281 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

After running the fmsweb_8v4_osx_updater, I tried to verify the results through the admin console overview page. There it said "The Publishing Engine is not responding. If the Publishing Engine has not yet been configured, click here to continue." So I did, and then it asked for the WPE Admin User name and password. This I had recorded in my copy of the manual, but upon entering these, the response was "The Publishing Engine user name or password is not valid".

(Meanwhile, the server happily continues to publish the databases.)

Is it possible to retrieve what the system thinks the WPE admin username/password is, or re-establish the original entry?

The easiest way to fix this is to disinstall the WPE, and then reinstall it and the updates from scratch. Then reconfigure it.

Be sure to stop ALL the FMS daemons before doing this. Then reboot.

It is also possible to delete some configuration files to do this, but as with anything like that, you really have to know exactly what you're doing. Otherwise you can really trash the server.

Deleting these preferences reverts Server Advanced to its intial state. You then have to reconfigure the WPE as before.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed.

HTH.

Steven

As you suggested, I stopped the WPE services, uninstalled the software, then re-installed it and applied the WPE update before restarting the machine. I then had to recreate the Admin Console account, but the machine had somehow still remembered the WPE Admin account (albeit incorrectly - so no access).

Now the server still publishes the list of databases but no longer allows them to be opened through the web ("database not available"). Remote access through a FM client is still possible, so FM Server is probably not at fault.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this? Should I just re-install the whole system (server and WPE) or are there more elegant ways to deal with this (such as deleting preference files)?

I am afraid you lost me. What exactly is the SAT Tool? Also, at the moment I do not know how to find that out on the WPE Configuration (unless it can be found in one the files in the Library section).

If the question is whether I have used different usernames/passwords for the FMSA Admin Console account and the WPE Admin account, the answer is yes.

Meanwhile, be assured I appreciate your patient support!

Richard

The ID and passcode for WPE entered in FM Server Admin are as before. But this could explain why the web serving function no longer works: with the re-installation of WPE this info may have been reset. But I am unable to correct that because I still cannot get access to the WPE configuration through the Admin Console due to the apparent mismatch of the WPE Admin account details...

Richard

Thanks for your time, anyway. Meanwhile I have tried to re-install the complete server package, but for some reason the installer of the server (not the WPE) hangs when I try to exercise the uninstall option. So other then a clean re-install of the entire Mac I see no way forward, but this is not something I look forward to. :B

Richard

My apologies for not replying sooner - I was away on business.

Yes, I believe I killed all the deamons involved: first WPE using the SystemStarter in Terminal, then the server itself through the FM Server Admin. I also terminated the Server Admin before trying to uninstall the server.

Richard

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

Hi,

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem!! I've reinstalled WPE and it doesn't works! It still tells me that my wpe admin user or password is wrong!? Is there a registry key or something that I could reset, I'm working on a production server and cannot restart it as I want

Please help me!!

Thanx

• Newbies

Hi, the server where is installed FM is Win2000 Terminal server.

I've found what was my problem first, I've turned off Integrated Windows Authentication in IIS and WPE worked BUT I've to turn it on after because other application need it. Then when I went back to WPE, the FMSA user does no longer works!! HELP! :)

This topic is 6281 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.