Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Custom Function -- Allow only full access

Genx

This topic is 6353 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Am I right to assume these will still work for lower access accounts in existing scripts if i turn this on? I.e. is all that happens is it gts hidden out of the custom funcion list and isn't recogised if a lower level account tries to edit the calc or whatever utilizes it?

Cheers.

Hi Genx,

Here is what help says,

---

All accounts is the default option for Availability and allows all users of the current database to SEE and USE the custom function. If you want the custom function to be AVAILABLE ONLY to those with Full Access privileges, select Only accounts assigned full access privileges.

---

The content of a custom function is protected even if it is set to be available to all users with Full Access privileges. To edit or view the custom function content, you must have Full Access privileges and be editing the database in FileMaker Pro Advanced.

---

I think it is really confusing

First i did not know that you could let users modify individual fields? Have never managed to do it myself, if you can would like to know how.

I know for a fact that if you let users account privs modify scripts it is in that situation that the custom function disappears from the list.

Its seems to still evaluate in any priv set though.

One last thing ... wonder what happens if you stick your calculation in a text field and then ask it to Evaluate() the field contents ... bet thats a way to bypass it anyway. ... just a thought... but hey your user would not know what its called anyway.

best

Stuart.

Thanks stewart, never really bothered looking in the help...

I don't think you can have users modify individual fields and that wasn't really the issue -- it's the data viewer in advanced that concerned me -- In reality i block my users off from absolutley everything i.e. no ScriptMaker, no Define Database, no "Real" FM Menus -- twas just a point of curiosity.

Anyway, thanks for the interpretation :B

It seems as if there should be antecedent posts to these three to set a conteext, but they are not appearing.

Regarding the accessibility of Custom Functions, if not marked as available for [Full Access] Accounts only, then they are available for selection by any Account whose Privilege Set allows access to the calculation engine UI. For example, this could be a user allowed to create new scripts or to edit existing ones.

If the CF is marked as available for [Full Access] Accounts only, then only those Accounts can access it in the UI.

Now--the important part. [color:red]Irrespective of how it is marked, it is still available for use by any Account where the developer has set it up. This means that a subordinate level Account could use a CF in a script that performs some business logic for example, even though the user has no access to selecting the CF through the UI.

HTH

Steven

Thanks Steven, but one more question just to clear up a final ... issue.

If the user had access to define fields etc. but not a particular custom function... but that custom function had been utilized in another location, can they in fact copy and paste it from another location where it has been utilized by someone with a Full Access account?

Cheers.

OK further to this item. If the user has access to define fields, then the CF is available in the UI, irrespective of whether the Account is [Full Access] or not. It is not available through the UI of the calculation engine for subordinate level Accounts if the CF is marked for [Full Access] only.

I'm not sure yet what I think about this, but I am certainly going to look into this some more.

Thanks for raising this issue.

Steven

This topic is 6353 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.