Running total on bottom of EACH page not total of all records

skekum

This topic is 4046 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a log book, which totals a number of hours in a column. I have set up a report which prints 25 results per page.

I would like to have a summary at the bottom of each page of only the totals of that page and all the previous pages. Kind of like a running total.

I've tried a few methods but can only seem to get a summary of the entire set of records (all 3000). In other words, on page 1, it should total just page 1, on page 2 it should be a total of both page 1 and 2.

Can this be done without having to manually create a summary field for each block of 25 records?

Thanks

skekum

Hi Skekum,

Welcome to the forum.

Go to the table field setup for your summary field and select the running total option, make sure the field is a summary type (a mere calculation doesn't provide this option). This should do what you want. There is no need to setup another summary field. Notice you could if desired set up a running count of records also.

Hope this helps,

Tim

• Newbies

Hi Tim,

I've tried your method which is what I've tried before. The problem is that when all 3000 records have been entered and you look at the first page, it shows the summary of all the records, I only want the summary of that page, and all the records before it.

Each page of the logbook is a running total, so that when you get to the last page, it should be the grand total of all hours.

I'll keep trying

skekum

Hi Skekum,

Are you trying to accomplish the running totals in browse mode, preview mode or printed output?

Remember the summary field type was designed for printed summaries, therefore it evaluates differently in browse mode, not giving the expected results.

Tim

• Newbies

Yes it is Tim. If I put it in the body section, it repeats down the page as I have set it up to display 25 inputs per page.

The summary field is in the footer and I tried looking at it in Preview, Browse mode and it didn't seem to make a difference.

• 6 years later...
  • Newbies

I'm currently trying to do the same thing and none of the above replys have solved my issue. Like the guy from 2006 said, the totals show totals for all records being browsed. How can we show totals for each page? I can't use "Restart summary for each sorted group" because there is no group that changes for each page. I guess I could make a calculation field that changed it's value for every x number of records where x is how ever many records that are on a page, but isn't there an easier way. Isn't there a way filemaker can put the totals for the records on each page. I've tried preview mode, and actually printing it.

This topic is 4046 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.