Need to return to correct portal

This topic is 6346 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a layout with a 2-tab panel and both are named objects. "TabOne" contains a simple 2-column portal of Table::Field1 and Table::Field2. "TabTwo" is an expanded version showing several additional fields from the same Table. The two portals are sorted the same so they align properly (e.g., the 4th record in Table is the 4th row in both portals) when the user clicks between TabOne and TabTwo.

The user clicks a button at the side of either portal that runs a script that calculates a particular record for the user to make changes to. A script parameter (1 or 2) tells the script which panel the request originated from. The script attempts to return to that same panel and Go To Portal Row for the calculated record.

The problem is that the user always ends up back on TabOne. The script works fine all the way through the Go To Object step -- but the Go To Portal Row that immediately follows always sets the layout to that row on TabOne.

I've tried every combination of Go To Object, Go To Row and Go To Field but none works. I will appreciate any suggestions as to what else to try.

Thanks in advance.

Why don't you put a global field into your first portal and your second portal (different names naturally) then perform a go to field, followed by a go to portal row.

.. also look at this http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/182332/

I just tried the globals and they behave exactly as the Go To Object steps did. The correct portal displays for that one step -- but then on the Go To Portal Row, the display reverts to the first panel.

I'll study the other threaad next. There must be a simple way to do this.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you, Henk B!

Naming the portal, itself. That was the missing piece of the puzzle!

I've used go to [global field on panel] and go to [named tab] many times, and I still don't understand why they don't work here as well. (It probably has to do with FileMaker's management of layers of objects on layouts, which is unseen by us.) But both of those are "indirect ways" compared to naming and specifying the portal, itself.

Thanks again.

This topic is 6346 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.