Server Specs

This topic is 6316 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am currently developing a database on my powerbook and would like other people to be able to acces the data. It seems that Instant Web Publishing would be the best method for this and I have an old G4 that i can use as a server. That computer is a PowerPC 400mhz proccesor with 384mb of RAM and 20gb Hardrive. Before I purchase a copy of OS 10.4 and install everything on that computer I wanted to ask if that machine will be fast enough to allow up to 4 people to use the database.

A seperate less important question is about other methods for sharing the data. IWP allows anyone to access the database from anywhere with an internet connection (I have accounts and passwords set up of course), but IWP limits some of the functions in my database. I wanted to know the best way to have regular users, working from dedicated workstations that are not in the same location as each other, able to work seemlessly in the database. I know i can purchase copies of FIlemaker for each of the users but can't i also publish unlimited copies of my solution using Filemaker 8 advance and give it to people who do not have Filemaker on their computers?

That computer is a PowerPC 400mhz proccesor with 384mb of RAM and 20gb Hardrive. Before I purchase a copy of OS 10.4 and install everything on that computer I wanted to ask if that machine will be fast enough to allow up to 4 people to use the database.

That's a little low on RAM, but it will probably work. You intend to use FileMaker Server 8 Advanced to IWP publish these files?

Steven

I will be using Filemaker 8 advance with Instant Web Publishing, not server.

The reason for using a dedicated machine is because my primary machine is a laptop and is not always connected or awake. Plus, I also thought that any machine acting as a server should be dedicated, although in this case it may be better to have a more powerful mahcine that is not dedicated than a less powerful one that is. What do you think? I am not opposed to getting another 256mb of RAM since its only about $50.

This topic is 6316 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.