Sign in to follow this  
Tombstone0

Portal sorting on the wrong field

I've created a portal between two files in my fmp database. In the define relationships menu I have sort set to sort by company name. Companyname is a calculated field in our customer database which looks up a company's name, it simply holds companyname so it can be used in this file. Anyway for some reason the portal is unwilling to sort on this field and sorts on company ID instead. Thanks for your help.

make sure your calculation field is set to "Calculation result is [Text]" should be in a little drop down box in the window where you write the calculation. i have had trouble sorting by calculation fields in the past because i accidently had the result set to number instead of text.

hope it helps, if not post back maybe someone else will know what the problem is.

Thanks bman,

but now I have the problem that the portal wants to constantly resort, it sorts when I open the window and then sorts when I click in the portal and will sort several more times. Is there anyway to get rid of this problem?

Could you clarify? Is is resorting in the same order, just seeming to regenerate the portal, or is it resorting in a completely different order depending on which way the wind blows? (so to speak)