Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Google Maps that stick when traveling

David Pritchard

This topic is 6330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am a piano tuner in the panhandle of Nebraska. I have an awesome database for my business thanks to the help of a Filemaker Consultant out of Colorado. I'm trying to learn how to add more features to my database myself and am having a lot of fun doing it.

I added a webviewer so that I can see a map for the address of each client. This is great for seeing where they live when I'm at home and connected to the internet, but I would like to be able to see the map on my laptop while driving to their house.

Once I zoom in or out and configure the map the way I like, I want to be able to save the map with the clients record to use while driving.

Anyone know how to do this? Seems like there may be a way to make a script so that when I click a button, the contents of the webviewer are saved to a container field. Can someone tell me how to set this up?

David

why not just print it as a pdf and stick it on your desktop...

or

if you want it stored in the database insert it into a container field as a file to retrieve later

or

as an image so you can see it in the container.

or

you could just print as a pdf as and when you need it ... that way you do not risk the map being out of date if the address changes.

• Newbies

Apple-shift-4 works great. I can do this command, drag around the map and have it save to the desktop, then drag that file into a container field. This will certainly accomplish what I want, but can anyone think of a way to automate this or make it a little faster? It takes a little time to drag right where I want, so if there were a way to select the webviewer field and have a screenshot of just that field made and automatically put into a container field, that would be awesome. Maybe through a combination of a filemaker script and an apple script? I don't really know how to work with applescript, but if someone else does and has an idea how to accomplish this, please let me know.

If not, Stuart's suggestion will work fine, especially as I create new client records. I'd like to go back to my 2500 existing client records and cause their new map to be saved so that as I schedule appointments in the future, the maps are already there.

I'm adding this post as I just realized what Stuart said about cntl-apple-shift-4. This already speeds up the process quite a bit. It would just be nice if I could have it take a picture of the webviewer without having to drag around it.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.