Conditional checkbox

Bill Back

This topic is 6293 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm creating a list layout from scratch. I want to show a checkbox that is checked if a field has a date entered and not checked if the field is empty. What's the best way to do this?

(I'm a total FMP newbie, please have mercy!)

TIA.

Bill.

One way would be to create a calculation field that would return "Y" if MyDateField was not empty in conjuction with a value list that had only the value Y. The other would be to use a calc field in conjuction with global fields that contain pictures of the checkbox.

Example file attached done in FileMaker 7. Username = admin, no password.

MyCalculatedCheckBox.zip

• Newbies

Sorry to be a bit stupid but I have just looked at the file DateBoolean and it does almost what I need (I want to change text to red where membership expiry date has expired but same idea) but I can't see anywhere the option for custom formatting. Your file works and there must be something saying "if date > "" then place tick box". Can you help? Thank you in advance.

• Newbies

I ended up using a variation of the DateBoolean for my solution.

Put your Date field on the layout. Click Format->Date to bring up the Date Format tool. Select "Custom" and then enter the letter 'a' into the format.

Click the "Text Format...." button and select Webdings for the Font. When you go back to your form, you will see a checkmark. To get the checkbox effect, turn on all of the field borders.

I also made the field read-only in this particular layout and then converted it to a button to take me to the details layout where I could put in the actual date.

Hope this helps and thanks to all those who contributed ideas.

This topic is 6293 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.