Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Fm Server 5 Problems

This topic is 6304 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hey guys,

The tech support guy at Filemaker said to post in this forum cause you guys are the guru's and they don't support server 5 and filemaker pro 5 anymore. I hope you can help me.

I have a client that has been running filemaker server and filemaker pro 5 for the last 6 years or so. They have a custom built database that has 18 fp5 files associated with. This company has moved locations 2 times this year, and this is where the problems start. The fm server 5 runs on a windows 2003 server with sp1. The clients run on win xp pro sp2. When they moved the first time, they started everything back up and could not find the database. I was not involved with the move the first time but I was told that they reverted back to a copy of the file, a clone if you will, so they could continue to work. Then they moved the second time and I was involved this time, the same thing happened. They couldn't find the database but the server was running. They told me they could see the first database they lost the first time, which was an old copy, when they click on the hosts button in the fmpro 5 client.

Now, last thursday something happened to the database again. I came in on Tuesday and found that the clients would click on the host button but nothing would come up. So I restarted the server and when it came back up, they could see the server and the file. But when they opened it and saw what it was, they realized it was the old copy of the database they ORIGINALLY lost the last time.

After many hours of digging and learning on a 6 year old product, I have learned that there were multiple folders with copies of the database in each one under the server folder. I moved the old ones out and opened each one seperatly and I can't find any up to date data. It is all at least 2 months old. The funny thing is on the backups I do have, I looked at the modify date of the files I originally thought were the ones they were using and they were at least 6 months old.

So, to summerize, something happened to my data for the last 2 months, and it looks like the old copy is back. My question to you guys is, what should I do?

I have searched and searched for every fp5 file I could find and non of them are the correct data. Is it possible that the data got corrupt last thursday? Grant it, this is a very old package and yes I now know that it wasn't even tested for server 2003, but I need to figure out something.

If anyone could help, that would be appreciated. If you need more information, just let me know.

Mike

This topic is 6304 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.